Saturday, April 11, 2015

"TRANSFORMERS" (2007) Review




"TRANSFORMERS" (2007) Review"

Based upon the Japanese cartoon TV series and the line of Hasbro toys, "TRANSFORMERS" is the story about how Earth is caught in the middle of an intergalactic war between two races of robots, the heroic Autobots and the evil Decepticons, which are able to change into a variety of objects, including cars, trucks, planes and other technological creations. This 2007 film was developed by producers Don Murphy and Tom DeSanto and executive director, Steven Spielberg, had convinced Michael Bay ("PEARL HARBOR", "BAD BOYS" and "THE ISLAND") to direct it as his first family film. 

I really do not know what to say about "TRANSFORMERS". It has a pretty good cast with the likes of Shia LaBeouf, Megan Fox, Josh Duhamel, Tyrese Gibson, Jon Voight, Anthony Anderson and John Turturro. It also featured the voices of Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime (leader of the the good alien robots) and Hugo Weaving as the voice of the evil Megatron. 

I am already into the third paragraph of this post and I have yet to give my review. It sounds as if I am delaying in giving my view of the movie, doesn't it? Perhaps I am. Like I had stated in the previous paragraph, I do not know what to say about "TRANSFORMERS". On the surface, it is a pretty exciting, yet funny film. It can boast some first-class action, which happens to be Michael Bay's forte. And the performances are pretty good. I could say that Shia LaBeouf (Spielberg's new favorite at the time) was exceptional. Although there were times when I found his performance a little frantic. Rather like a young John Cusack on crack. Nearly six years ago, I thought Tyrese Gibson seemed a little too big to be playing second fiddle to a TV actor like Josh Duhamel. Now that both are big screen actors . . . well, I was too busy enjoying their on-screen camaraderie to really care one way or the other. 

Despite all of the action, special effects and good performances, I had left the theater with this uneasy feeling that"TRANSFORMERS" seemed a little beneath for someone of Bay's talent or reputation. When one really comes down to it, the movie seemed nothing more than an over-the-top kiddie flick. But hey, if you are really a fan of THE TRANSFORMERS franchise, I suggest that you check it out. Chances are you will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment